To promote the interests of members in the heritage & tourist railway and tramway sector, and to encourage good practice in all fields.
1. To represent its members' interests to government and other bodies.
2. To maintain high standards by requiring members to conform to the Association's Code of Conduct.
3. To provide professional advice, a full information service and other such help and assistance as may be appropriate.
4. To provide a forum for sharing information, experience and best practice.
5. To help members in developing their business.
6. To encourage and assist members in developing education policies and practices.
7. To encourage and assist members in developing and retaining heritage skills.
8. To encourage and advise members on the heritage aspects of their activities.
9. To encourage excellence by organising awards and competitions.
The mission statement was last updated in January 2015.